fat

fat

Friday, December 6, 2013

History of the Fat Formation, BEAST and the Yale!

I had ran the Power I as my goal line offense for many years.  In 1999 we dabble with the Shotgun and later in 2000 is when Northwestern shocked the football world with their power shotgun run offense. In 2001 I had a great running QB and I was figuring out ways to get him the ball.  I brought in a true FB in the backfield and started running I back type plays to the QB.  I then tried to figure  a way to get the Power I into the offense and moved 2 FB next to each other.  During this time a team in our league played a Single Wing Team and I noticed I could run my double FB offense from a balanced set.  We introduced it in the 2001 season and called it Jumbo.  One of my players mother asked me when we were going to run those plays were I bring in all the "fat guys" and hence the name was born. 

Searching the Internet I found the Single Wing Forum on Delphi and discovered Steve Calande was running something similar called the BEAST.  The only difference was he was running 3 FB's where I had 2 and a Wing.  Later on I found about about the Yale Formation from some older Single Wing coaches.  Its amazing how 2 different coaches from opposite ends of the country came up with a similar formation and plays, never knowing about each others work till they were finished.

Here is a good link about the Yale
http://zerotechnique.blogspot.com/2013/09/three-ways-to-unleash-yales-beast.html

Steve Calande's BEAST
http://www.coachcalande.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment